The Welcome Club of Northern Virginia was organized in 1960 under the name of The Welcome Wagon of Vienna/Oakton. Over the years thousands of Members have come and gone, and the Club has taken many different shapes and forms during this time. In March 2001 the association with the Welcome Wagon organization was ended. The name was changed to the Welcome Club of Northern Virginia, and new bylaws were ratified to reflect the 21st century direction and scope of the Club. Our member activities are primarily scheduled from September through May, with a few Special Interest Groups meeting during the summer months.
So we have a long history of joining together in friendship to learn, create, contribute to our community and participate in activities that bring us joy as well as a sense of accomplishment. There are many ways to become active in the Club, and we encourage everyone to share their talents, whatever they may be, as we have many avenues for involvement. A wide variety of interesting social activities are available every month, and we truly have something interesting and fun to offer everyone!
The objective of this Club is to aid in the development of friendship among new or long-time residents and to participate in civic and social activities.
Membership is open to anyone interested in making new friends in the community, participating in Club activities, and abiding by the rules and regulations of the Club. Membership dues are nominal and are used to support the various social and civic activities of the Club.
Our 'main event' is our Monthly Luncheon and General Meeting which is usually held in a local Country Club setting, and includes an interesting program and delightful lunch followed by a business meeting. Visit the Monthly Luncheons Page to find the date and program for the next scheduled Luncheon.
The Club offers many activities, each organized by a Committee Chairperson who manages the activities, schedules dates, secures restaurant or meeting space, arranges menu selections, transportation, etc. Here are a few highlights of some of our current groups:
- A group that meets monthly for a book review and discussion with light refreshments.
- Anyone who enjoys tea will love our Tea Time group - they visit local tea rooms all over Northern Virginia.
- Ladies who enjoy card playing will find several bridge groups and a canasta group. A Mah Jongg group meets twice a month. There is a group that plays poker once a month.
- We have several different groups organized to visit restaurants or other food venues.
- There is a group organized to visit historical sites in Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland.
- Our Project Linus Group is composed of women who enjoy knitting, crocheting and working with fleece blankets. They meet monthly to complete projects and sew Linus labels on the many blankets they make as well as those that are donated to the group. This group is a part of the national Project Linus organization which provides these wonderful hand-made items as a means of comfort for sick and needy children in local area hospitals and care centers.
- The Club also has a strong philanthropic presence, donating monies and gifts in kind to a variety of charitable organizations each year. Members respond with great generosity to requests from the Civic Co-Chairs. 2017-2018 has been a busy one for the Civic Co-Chairs ... In September a $400.00 donation was sent to Americares to assist in hurricane relief. In October donations were made to BRAWS (Bringing Resources to Aid Women's Shelters). Toys for Tots was the focus in December, an organization that our Club has contributed to for several years. In February, Suited for Change was targeted for donations of accessories to assist with head-to-toe professional attire for women in need entering the job market or those who have been recently employed. And in March a $350.00 donation was made to Food for Others, Northern Virginia's primary safety net for food when an emergency strikes, and for the growing number of working poor who are unable to make ends meet to supplement their food supplies.
Please visit on the Special Interest Groups Page for a complete list of the groups.
A Club Newsletter is published monthly which includes a Message from The President of the Club, the Monthly Luncheon Program and Schedule, news about New Members and Members celebrating birthdays, and detailed information regarding scheduled activities for the month.
The Calendar Page shows a calendar of the scheduled events for each month for quick reference and a great overview of the variety of activities for any given month.